Thursday, July 8, 2010

Delicious Summer Dinner Recipes!

It's been WAY too long since I've posted any of my yummy recipe finds. I have a sort of new cookbook that has quickly become one of my favorites. It's Taste of Homes Comfort Food Diet Cookbook. Not only is it broken down by the normal categories, each section is also broken down by calorie ranges. I love that feature.

Today I was looking through the cookbook for an idea for dinner and realized I was looking in the wrong category. It's been approaching 100 degrees every day this week here in southern Indiana and I kept finding wonderful sounding dishes in the dinner category but they were way too heavy and I really didn't want to heat up the kitchen by using the oven. So I flipped to the lunch category. There were lots of great choices there for a light meal. I settled on a few selections, made my list and headed to the grocery.

I decided to fix a Veggie Cheese Sandwich and a Grape Tomato Mozzarella Salad. I started out sauteing Vidalia Onions and Bell Peppers in a skillet. The recipe called for only Green Pepper but I don't like those. My husband tries to convince me that all Bell Peppers are created equal but the Green ones have a distinct smell and taste that I dislike. If they are diced up and in a recipe then I don't mind. But if I can smell or see them, I can't eat them. A LONG time ago I got sick after eating them on pizza and since then I can't stomach them. But I really love Orange, Red and Yellow peppers. I fix this pepper and onion mixture all the time for my omelets so I'm excited to find another way to eat them.



The recipe called for mushrooms to be added which I also don't like so I left them out. I was supposed to dice tomatoes and add those as well but decided to just add slices to my sandwich instead of cooking them. I was supposed to use Italian Bread and was pleasantly surprised to find a loaf in Walmarts bakery that was low calorie and low fat. I'll be buying this again for sandwiches. It was such a refreshing change to the healthy low-cal bread I usually buy.



To assemble the sandwich I used Brummel Yogurt Spread to butter the bread. I placed one slice in the skillet, topped it with the pepper/onion mixture, added a slice of Borden Bacon cheddar sliced cheese, and topped it with slices of Roma tomatoes. I decided that wasn't going to be enough cheese for me so when I flipped it, I opened the sandwich and added a slice of Borden fat free sliced cheese. This was really a grilled cheese sandwich with a bunch of added veggies. It was delicious! Nutritional information for my sandwich was Calories 335, Fat 16g, Fiber 1g, Carbs 32g, Protein 5g.



For my salad I sliced up part of a seedless cucumber, sliced Vidalia onions, halved grape tomatoes, 1 slice of mozzarella cheese and several fresh basil leaves. I assembled all of that on a plate and topped it with fat free Italian dressing. Honestly I could have left off the cheese. I could barely taste it. But this salad was VERY refreshing. I always think I have to have lettuce for a salad so this was very different but very tasty. And the Wal-mart brand fat free Italian dressing was excellent! I tried my best to add up fairly accurate stats on this salad using a calorie book I have. I know the veggies are sort of free but they do have calories. This might be too high but this is how I recorded it. Calories 145, Fat 4g, Fiber 4g, Carbs 21g, Protein 7.5g.



This was such a good dinner and filling but light at the same time. Of course I had iced tea with it. I was the only one who had the salad and my adult daughter was the only one who fixed the sandwich like I did. She loved it! The other three girls had different sandwiches. I will definitely be making these recipes again!

No comments:

Post a Comment